Optimize Your Defenses
The most effective defense against cyber risks deploys solutions that inoculate a company from as many risks as possible. An “inoculation” prevents the risk to take hold just like a vaccine that is 100% effective in protecting us from a certain bug.
- We have developed an 100% effective inoculation for Ransomware.
- We are working on a highly effective inoculation for phishing risks based on AI.
For the rest of the risks the best defense is a layered defense carefully engineered to leave no holes undefended. Each layer of defense should:
- Be constantly improving.
- A regular update of the core intelligence is a must
- The ability to discern new risks itself is even better. It should be self-learning
- The self-improving aspect of each layer is critical to defense against the fast changing nature of cyber risks. Self-improving is most effectively done with AI.
- Have many layers – at least 5 or better 6 seamlessly deployed
- If each layer is 90% effective, a 6-layer defense will thwart 99.9999% of serious attacks, those that get by the firewall.
- These layers should be comprised of
- SIEM (Security Information and Event Management)
- APT (Advanced Persistent Threat Management)
- IAM (Identity and Access Management)
- Two factor log-on
- Strong password requirements
- DLP (Data Loss Protection)
- Robust encryption strategy
- Honey pots both external as well as internal
- ….all of which is being 24/7/365 by an advanced SOC (Security Operations Center) or it’s enhanced version: Cyber Fusion Center.
- Large enterprises can afford to run their own SOC
- ALL other enterprises should become members of a shared SOC.
- Be sure that you have given your SOC – owned or shared – with authority to protect you.
Primary mistakes that are all-too-often made are:
- Trying to do any of this in-house – unless you are Citibank, General Motors, or any other very large enterprise.
- Since the available of shared SOC’s is plentiful, there is no excuse for even the smallest firm to not be prepared by a state-of-the-art SOC.